The Purper Cowl is named after the Tyrian or royal purple dye which was much prized in the Eastern Roman Empire. The design also drew inspiration from the handspun yarn which was used to knit the sample. The cowl will bring out the best in any tweedy yarn.
This cowl is knit in the round, with an easy knit-purl stitch pattern, that is pretty on both sides. A great design to get more comfortable with knitting in the round or a wonderful relaxing knit for more experienced knitters.
This cowl is knit in the round, stitches used are knit and purl. This pattern is suitable for the advanced beginner.
Size and finished measurements
Sizes S (M, L), finished dimensions: 72 (92, 112) cm (28 (36, 44) inches) circumference and 23 cm (9 inches) wide. Sample shown is in size M.
- Worked in the round
- Written for a gauge of approx. 14 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) in stitch pattern (unblocked).
- Digital-PDF has 3 pages (A4 size)
- Yarn: 130-150 (180-200, 210-230) m or 142-164 (197-219, 230-252) yds aran weight yarn.
- 5.5 mm (US #9) 60 cm (24″) circular needle and a 6 mm (US #10) 60 cm (24 inches) circular needle (for CO and BO only).
- Yarn needle
- 1 “end-of-round” stitch marker