Celtic Roots Headband
Celtic Roots is a cable lover’s delight! This headband features a wide Saxon cable over the forehead and down to the ears where the cabling then attractively diminishes to a single cable at the nape allowing the headband to be worn with a variety of hairstyles, both up and down.
The headband is grafted using Kitchener stitch. Don’t let this intimidate you. Really!!
This pattern also includes two photo tutorials:
- Crochet Provisional Cast-on
- Top to Bottom Kitchener grafting
The pattern directs you how to treat every single stitch in your graft. No guessing and no worries!
This pattern has been professionally tech edited to reduce the potential for error.
Headband fits an adult head size of approx 22” - 23.5” (55.9 cm – 59.7 cm). Additional sizes available by working more/fewer full cable pattern repeats at the nape of the neck.
30 sts/34.5 rows to 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm) in pattern stitch (Saxon braid), blocked (widthwise only).
US 6 (4 mm) needles
Or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
Allow approx 76-84 yds (70-77 m) worsted weight yarn.
Sample knit using (1) 3.5 oz/100 gr (200 yds/183 m) skein of Madelinetosh Vintage (100% Superwash Merino wool) in Aura.
The headband is provisionally cast on and then worked flat. It is finished by joining the two ends with a Kitchener graft.
- Knit and purl stitches
- Cable stitches - 2/1LPC, 2/2LC, 2/2LPC, 2/1RPC, 2/2RC, 2/2RPC
- Increase and decrease stitches - LLI, RLI, P2TOG, SSP
- Provisional cast-on
- Kitchener grafting - top to bottom
The pattern is fully charted, but also includes complete written directions so the ability to read a chart is not necessary to work this pattern.
Avoid highly variegated and/or excessively fuzzy yarn as it will obscure the cable patterning.
- I9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook (for provisional cast-on)
- 50” (127 cm) scrap contrasting color worsted yarn (for provisional cast-on)
- 8” (20.3 cm) scrap contrasting color fingering weight or lighter yarn/thread (optional, for Kitchener lifeline)
- Tapestry/blunt yarn needle
- T-pins (optional, for blocking)
This original design pattern is the copyrighted property of Melissa Burke, Apiary Knits. Please do not reproduce this pattern (in whole or in part) without express written permission from Melissa Burke, Apiary Knits.